Cash machine crime is rare, but there are simple steps that all cardholders can take to help prevent this.
- Stand close to the terminal. Shield the keypad to avoid anything or anyone seeing you enter your PIN.
- Stay alert and put your personal safety first. If someone is crowding or watching you, cancel the transaction. Do not accept help from seemingly well-meaning strangers and never allow yourself to be distracted.
- Have your card company’s 24-hour contact number stored in your mobile phone. If your card is retained, stay at the ATM and contact your bank immediately.
- If you spot anything unusual about the machine, or there are signs of tampering, do not use it.
- If you think you have been a victim of fraud, you should contact your bank immediately.
- Stick with ATM’s you trust and keep your eyes peeled. If something doesn’t feel right about an ATM or a credit card reader, don’t use it.
Warn vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours.