We currently have vacancies for 2 new parish councillors. Do you have some time to spare? Do you want to get involved in the future of the Pembury?
To be eligible to join the parish council you must:
- be a British, Irish or European citizen
- be over 18
- be an elector of Pembury
- have lived in the parish of Pembury, or within 3 miles of it, for the last 12 months or have your principle place of work in the parish
- not be under a bankruptcy order
- not have received a conviction leading to a sentence of imprisonment for more than 3 months without the option of a fine.
The Good Councillors Guide has lots of information about what it means to be a Parish Councillor.
Each Parish Council is very different and reflects the community which it serves. Pembury Parish Council has responsibility for:
- managing Lower Green Recreation Ground and its facilities:
- Children’s playgrounds
- Multi use games area
- Outdoor gym
- football pitches
- tennis courts
- open space management of Woodside Playing Fields and pitches
- the village green
- the Old Coach Road
- Pembury Burial Ground
- Events including annual Fireworks display, Picnic on the Green, Remembrance Day service, Christmas Carols on the Green
- Pembury Village News – a quarterly newsletter delivered to all homes in the village
- Christmas Lights
- Floral displays
- Allotments in Henwood Green Road
- Streetlights in Belfield Road, Henwood Green Road
- commenting on all planning applications in the parish
- lobbying other agencies to support residents
- signposting residents to other council services
We employ a Clerk and Deputy Clerk to manage the day to day administrative work of the Council and have a team of Grounds Maintenance staff maintaining our open spaces and sports facilities.
If you want to find out more and speak to either a member of staff or another councillor, why not get in touch and we will call you to answer your questions and chat about the role. In the first instance please email the Clerk, Helen Munro, on email@example.com.
The Parish Office
Lower Green Recreation Ground
Lower Green Road
Kent TN2 4DZ
You will be invited to have an informal chat with the Chair and Vice Chair of the Council. Normally this is done face to face but during the current restrictions, this can be arranged virtually.
A formal interview will then be arranged with the rest of the Council at a Council meeting. Our Council meetings are currently being held virtually via Zoom. Meetings are on the first Monday of each month starting at 7:15pm.