Overgrown Hedges

Overgrown hedges on roads and pavements can be a real problem at this time of year.

Whose responsibility is it to cut back overgrown hedges?

If a hedge is growing out of a resident/landowner’s boundary, it is their responsibility to cut it. If a hedge or grass verge is growing on ‘common ground’ it’s Kent County Council’s responsibility. To report overgrown pavements/verges on common ground visit KCC’s website to report a problem.

There are exceptions to this rule but Over the garden hedge – GOV.UK ( gives further advice on this point.